Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
Over the years, my 5 minute coconut curry sauce has become one of my top posts on the blog. And I'm not at all surprised why. It's quick, it's easy, and it's packed with flavor. And this crockpot coconut chicken curry recipe is no different.
This post will give you instructions to make your chicken curry in the crockpot, as well as how to prep it ahead of time as a make ahead freezer meal. Haven't tried freezer meals yet? Here's a beginner's guide to freezer meals to get you started.
Crockpot coconut curry - as a crockpot meal
To make this recipe in your crockpot, you'll dump the chicken, veggies and spices into the crockpot, cook it up for about 5-6 hours, then add the coconut milk, and lime juice, then serve with rice and top it with your favorite curry toppings (cilantro, hot sauce, etc.).
Crockpot coconut curry - as a make-ahead freezer meal
If, instead, you want to prep this meal ahead of time and freeze the prepped meal in a freezer bag, you can totally do that too.
Here's how this works:
- Prep your ingredients
- Put them in your (labeled) freezer bag
- Then freeze for later
To do this method, you'll want to add the chicken, carrots, and peppers to the freezer bag. In a mixing bowl, combine the curry powder, turmeric, coconut aminos, and fish sauce. Dump the mixture into the freezer bag. Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer.
Thaw in the fridge overnight, or soak in cold water the morning you’re ready to cook it. Cook on low in your crockpot for 5-6 hours. Then you'll add the can of coconut milk and juice of 1-2 limes (to taste) when it’s done cooking. Serve over rice, top with cilantro, and add hot sauce (optional) or any other toppings you'd like.
MORE CROCKPOT RECIPES FOR YOU TO ENJOY
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Paleo (Bean Free) Chili
- Spaghetti with Meatballs in the Crockpot
- 18 Delicious Paleo Crockpot Meals
- Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs
- 4 carrots, diced to ½ inch
- 1 bell pepper, diced to ½ inch
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 13.6 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1-2 limes (juiced)
- Rice (or cauliflower rice)
- Hot sauce
- Add the chicken, carrots, and peppers to the freezer bag.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the curry powder, turmeric, coconut aminos, and fish sauce.
- Dump the mixture into the freezer bag.
- Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, or soak in cold water the morning you’re ready to cook it.
- Cook on low in crockpot for 5-6 hours.
- Add the can of coconut milk and juice of 1-2 limes (to taste) when it’s done cooking.
- Serve over rice, top with cilantro, and add hot sauce (optional)
- For Paleo, use coconut aminos and cauliflower rice
- For vegan, use tofu or plant based meat substitute instead of chicken
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 218mgSodium: 1036mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g