Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
Are you in the mood for a creamy & delicious soup tonight? Make this crockpot butternut squash soup with coconut milk and apple for a meal your whole family will love.
Here are directions for making your soup in the crockpot, as well as how to prep it ahead of time as a make ahead freezer meal. Haven't tried freezer meals yet? Here's a beginner's guide to freezer meals to get you started.
This recipe is super simple to make in your crockpot.
As an Easy Weeknight Crockpot Meal...
Peel, de-seed, and cube the butternut squash, chop the sweet potatoes, and de-core the apple. Add them all to the freezer bag (if freezing the ingredients for later) or into the crockpot if you're making it for tonight.
Add the water, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger, then you're good to go.
Just cook it on low for about 6 hours, then blend it up (my favorite way is with my immersion blender). Add the coconut milk and serve with pita, naan, or flatbread, if you're into that sorta thing.
As a Make-Ahead Freezer Meal...
To make this recipe ahead of time as a freezer meal, you'll just need a few freezer meal tools. The main thing you're going to need to make this ahead of time is something to store your uncooked meal in. I use these compostable freezer bags because I don't love the idea of single use plastic bags.
Here's the general idea:
- Prep your ingredients
- Put them in your (labeled) freezer bag
- Freeze for later
The night before you're ready to make it, just set the bag it in the fridge to let it thaw out.
Cook it in the Crockpot
Once you're ready to cook your soup, you just need your crockpot (or instant pot with slow-cook setting). Dump all the thawed ingredients inside and cook!
Cook on low in crockpot for 6 hours and then when it’s cooked, use your immersion blender to blend while it’s still in the crockpot bowl. Then add the coconut milk & serve.
More crockpot recipes for you to enjoy
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Paleo (Bean Free) Chili
- Crockpot Spaghetti with Meatballs
- 18 Delicious Paleo Crockpot Meals
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed into 1” dice
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, diced into ½”
- 1 apple, no core
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 13.6 oz can full fat coconut milk (added at end)
- Lemon juice
- Pita, naan or flatbread
- Peel, de-seed, and cube the butternut squash, then add it to the freezer bag.
- Chop the sweet potatoes, and de-core the apple, then add them to the freezer bag.
- Add the water, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger to the freezer bag.
- Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, or soak in cold water the morning you’re ready to cook it.
- Cook on low in crockpot for 6 hours.
- When it’s cooked, use your immersion blender to blend while it’s still in the crockpot bowl.
- Add the can of coconut milk.
- Serve with pita, naan, or flatbread, if desired.
For gluten free, serve with gluten free bread (optional)
For Paleo, use Paleo flatbread (optional)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1512mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 10gSugar: 16gProtein: 9g