Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
Are you in the mood for a creamy & delicious soup tonight? Make this butternut squash and sweet potato soup with coconut milk and apple for a meal your whole family will love.
Here are directions for making your soup in the crockpot, as well as how to prep it ahead of time as a make ahead freezer meal. Haven't tried freezer meals yet? Here's a beginner's guide to freezer meals to get you started.
This recipe is super simple to make in your crockpot.
Tools Needed to Make Crockpot this Butternut Squash Soup
- Freezer bag like this compostable freezer bags to avoid using single use plastic.
- Crockpot (or instant pot with slow-cook setting)
- Blender we use this (immersion blender)
Ingredients Needed to Make this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut squash - The taste of butternut squash is sweet, moist, and nutty, similar to that of sweet potatoes or, according to others, butterscotch. Fresh butternut squash is highly recommended. The options for preparation are to buy it already chopped or peeled and chopped.
- Sweet potatoes - Taste great and are naturally sweet, but they also pack a nutritional punch.
- Apple - has just the right amount of sweetness without being overpowering and lets the squash's buttery, earthy notes really shine.
- Salt - to taste.
- Cinnamon - Creates a sweet and woody, with a hint of citrus and a spicy flavor frequently compared to the robust punch of cloves.
- Can of full fat coconut milk - The butternut squash and sweet potato soup is best made with full-fat coconut milk for a rich, velvety texture; but, if you prefer, you can substitute light coconut milk.
- Onion, Carrot, Garlic and Ginger– You shouldn't skip these because they form the foundation of the soup's flavor.
- Optional (Lemon juice, Cilantro, Pita, naan or flatbread)
How to Make this Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup (2 Ways)
Option 1: Easy Weeknight Crockpot Meal...
Peel, de-seed, and cube the butternut squash, chop the sweet potatoes, and de-core the apple. Add them all to the freezer bag (if freezing the ingredients for later) or into the crockpot if you're making it for tonight.
Add the water, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger, then you're good to go.
Just cook it on low for about 6 hours, then blend it up (my favorite way is with my immersion blender). Add the coconut milk and serve with pita, naan, or flatbread, if you're into that sorta thing.
Option 2: Make-Ahead Freezer Meal...
To make this vegan butternut squash soup recipe ahead of time as a freezer meal, you'll just need a few freezer meal tools.
The main thing you're going to need to make this ahead of time is something to store your uncooked meal in. I use these compostable freezer bags because I don't love the idea of single-use plastic bags.
Here's the general idea:
- Prep your ingredients
- Put them in your (labeled) freezer bag
- Freeze for later
The night before you're ready to make this butternut squash and sweet potato soup, just set the bag in the fridge to let it thaw out.
Then Cook it in the crockpot when you want to eat it.
Once you're ready to cook your crockpot butternut squash soup, you just need your crockpot (or instant pot with slow-cook setting). Dump all the thawed ingredients inside and cook!
Cook on low in the crock pot for 6 hours and then when it’s cooked, use your immersion blender to blend while it’s still in the crockpot bowl. Then add the coconut milk & serve.
FAQ & Recipe Tips
What does butternut squash soup go with?
Butternut squash soup pairs beautifully with roasted veggies, caramelized carrots, kale chips, sautéed mushrooms, roast potatoes, chicken, bacon, roasted cauliflower, sweet potato salad, baby kale salad, beet arugula salad, fried okra, grilled asparagus, grilled cheese, and a lot more.
Can you leave butternut squash skin on for soup?
Yes! Since the skin is edible, there is no need to peel it. Simply cut it in half, remove the seeds, and chop it into chunks before roasting it and adding it to a warm winter salad or stew.
- Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Paleo (Bean Free) Chili
- Crockpot Spaghetti with Meatballs
- 18 Delicious Paleo Crockpot Meals
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
Make this delicious crockpot butternut squash soup with coconut milk today. Make it ahead of time as a freezer meal, or a dump-and-go crockpot meal.
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed into 1” dice
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, diced into ½”
- 1 apple, no core
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 13.6 oz can full fat coconut milk (added at end)
- Lemon juice
- Pita, naan or flatbread
- Peel, de-seed, and cube the butternut squash, then add it to the freezer bag.
- Chop the sweet potatoes, and de-core the apple, then add them to the freezer bag.
- Add the water, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger to the freezer bag.
- Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, or soak in cold water the morning you’re ready to cook it.
- Cook on low in crockpot for 6 hours.
- When it’s cooked, use your immersion blender to blend while it’s still in the crockpot bowl.
- Add the can of coconut milk.
- Serve with pita, naan, or flatbread, if desired.
For gluten free, serve with gluten free bread (optional)
For Paleo, use Paleo flatbread (optional)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1512mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 10gSugar: 16gProtein: 9g
Leave a Reply