Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
Slow cookers. Amazing, right? Dump everything in there in the morning. And by dinner time, your food is ready to eat. The flavors in this Paleo crock pot chili come together beautifully while they simmer in the slow cooker.
Most chili has beans…lots of beans. But not this one. This is a bean free (Paleo) chili. It has amazing flavor, my husband said he might even enter it in his work chili contest…watch out everybody! Even if you’re not on the Paleo diet you’ll love the flavor of this simple and healthy chili (and the ease that it comes together).
Tools to make Paleo Crock pot Chili
- Crock pot/ Slow cooker – If you don’t already have one of these, what are you waiting for? OR even better…get an instant pot that has a slow-cook option (this one’s an AWESOME price right now).
- Stackable soup bowls – These are the perfect color to match any kitchen with handles so you won’t spill.
- Ladle – This one would look great in your kitchen.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE
What do I love about this chili?
- The flavor combinations of the spices are sooooo good.
- The hearty protein in the ground beef (and bacon…yumm).
- No beans (beans are problematic for some people…with this chili you don’t have to put up with digestive issues just to enjoy a bowl of chili.
- Lots of veggies.
- I love that I don’t have to stress about dinner. Throw it in the crockpot, and forget about it…until it starts making the house smell delicious. Then you’d better believe I’ll be thinking about it. For a more permanent solution to dinner time stress, check out this meal planning system that will give you time back into your evenings.
HOW TO MAKE THIS Bacon And Beef CHili
There are three steps to making this recipe.
- Cook the bacon (tip: cook your bacon on a sheet pan in the oven (400 (F) for 10-20 minutes…it won’t splatter all over your stove, and it’ll shrink a lot less)
- Chop your veggies
- Turn the crock pot on, throw everything in there, and let it cook for 5-6 hours on low.
This chili only takes 15 minutes of hands on time to cook the bacon and chop the veggies. I highly recommend cooking your bacon in the oven. Cook it on foil and cleanup is a breeze!
FAQ about Paleo Crock pot Chili
Will any Slow Cooker work?
In a 4 quart slow cooker, this will fill the bowl about half way. So as long as your slow cooker can hold 2 quarts or more, it will work!
Next time I’m going to double it and freeze some for later. My crock pot has a timer on it, which is handy if you won’t be home all day to turn it off when it’s done. We’ve recently gotten rid of our slow cooker and instead opted for an instant pot (with a slow cook option).
Do I have to use ground beef?
Nope! You can use ground chicken, ground pork, or ground bison. I prefer ground meat in this chili though. Use what you like best!
Do I have to cook the bacon first?
As I was researching slow cooked chili, I learned that if you throw the bacon in raw, it will probably get mushy in the slow cooking process. So I cooked the bacon first. If you don’t have bacon, or don’t want to use it you obviously don’t HAVE to use it. You’ll likely need to add more salt though. Taste it at the end and add salt if needed.
What if I don’t have all the ingredients?
I made this chili with simple ingredients, so I think you’ll have everything you need already in your cupboard. But if you don’t, try to make do with what you have. If you want more spice to your chili, add some cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce.
Do kids like this chili?
Mine do! I know how hard it is to make food and have your kids throw a fit as soon as they see it on the table. Try to involve them in the experience to get them on board BEFORE it gets to the table.
Related: How to teach your kids about healthy food
If you can find a way to involve them in the cooking process, they’re MUCH MORE LIKELY TO LIKE THE FOOD. Seriously. Anytime I make something new, I ask my kids (before it’s on the table) to come be my “taste-testers”.
Looking for more homemade, healthy soup recipes?
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 oz bacon
- 8 oz bell peppers
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 4 medium-large carrots
Spices & Flavor:
- 1 cup water
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook your 8 oz of bacon (stovetop or in the oven)
- Chop your 4 carrots (1/2 inch discs work well)
- Chop and de-seed the bell peppers (8 oz). One inch strips work well.
- Dice the half onion
- Mix tomato paste, spices, and water in mixing bowl.
- Add everything to the crock pot (raw ground beef, cooked bacon, chopped peppers, chopped carrots, chopped onion, and your tomato paste/water/spice mixture).
- Turn on your crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Taste and add salt, or hot sauce, as needed.
- Cooking bacon in the oven reduces grease splatter and shrinkage.
- Substitute for different veggies if you'd like!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 662Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 1339mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 53g