Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
Perfectly sweetened chocolate ginger date balls are made so fast and easy in a food processor. No baking required, these are the perfect holiday dessert. Make a batch to snack on while you’re around the house, or make a big double batch of these no bake dessert balls to bring to your next holiday party.
Why i love These chocolate ginger dessert balls
I love that these ginger date balls:
- Require no baking
- Come together fast (in 5 minutes)
- Use natural, real, whole foods.
Chocolate with ginger is one of my favorite flavor combinations. Especially for the holiday season. The sweetness of chocolate paired with spicy ginger. YUM. Can’t get enough of it.
Tools used to make these no bake balls
- Food processor – A food processor makes blending the dates super easy. I don’t own a blender, so I’m not certain it would work. Probably depends on the blender. There’s no liquid in this recipe, and some blenders have trouble.
- Serving tray or bowl – These white serving trays highlight food amazingly.
- Topping – Candied ginger sliced thinly looks (and tastes) great. (optional).
How to make these no bake date balls
To make these chocolate ginger balls, put all the ingredients into the food processor and blend for about a minute. Everything will form into a big ball and that’s how you know it’s done. Roll the mixture into smaller balls and coat with cocoa powder, if you’d like. Continue reading for pictures of each step.
Step 1: Blend ingredients in the food processor
Remove the pits from the dates, add the almond flour, the ginger, the cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt into the bowl of your food processor. Turn it on and blend for 45 seconds to a minute, or until it comes together in a big ball.
Step 2: Form into balls
Use a smaller spoon to break off pieces for the balls. Roll between your hands into a ball and set on a plate until all the balls are made. I like the 1″ diameter ball size, which can be made with about 1 teaspoon of mixture.
Step 3: Coat with cocoa powder
I like how these balls look with the matte finish of cocoa powder on the outside. It also keeps them from getting too sticky and sticking to each other (important if you’re serving them in a bowl).
To coat the balls in cocoa powder, put some cocoa powder on a separate plate. Taking one ball at a time, dip the chocolate balls into the cocoa powder and then roll them around between your hands again. Set the ball back down.
Make ahead & store
You can definitely make these no bake dessert balls ahead of time. I have noticed that the longer they sit, the more the cocoa powder coating is absorbed into the ball. So I recommend making the balls ahead of time, and waiting to coat them with cocoa powder the day you’ll be serving the balls.
How long can you keep these balls? They should keep quite a while in the fridge – at least a week.
What else can I do with dates?
Dates are typically sold dried (sometimes pitted already, but often not). They’re very easy to pit with a knife. Cut a slit down the side and grab the pit to remove it.
If you have dates left over, use them to sweeten desserts, smoothies, or eat them as a snack with some of your favorite nut butter stuffed in the middle.
More no bake holiday desserts
Looking for more delicious chocolate holiday desserts to put out at your holiday party?
- 16 pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder + 1 tsp for outer coating
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- Put all the above ingredients (except for 1 tsp of cocoa powder) in the bowl of your food processor
- Turn it on for about a minute until it forms into a ball.
- Scoop 1 tsp at a time of mixture and roll between your hands and form into a ball.
- Put 1 tsp of cocoa powder on a plate and dip the rolled ball in the cocoa powder.
- Roll it again between your hands to distribute the cocoa powder on the outside of the balls.
- Top with thin slices of candied ginger (optional).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 21Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g