Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
If you want a delicious honey BBQ sauce recipe that you can make in 5 minutes (no cooking required), this is for you.
As I'm sure you know, the barbecue sauce is a crucial component of a barbecue dinner. And when you make homemade barbecue sauce, you get to make sure it's the perfect balance of tang and sweetness.
Plus, you'll get to control what ingredients go in (and stay out of) your sauce. This barbecue sauce is made without ketchup and with tomato paste.
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Without Ketchup
A lot of BBQ sauce recipes use ketchup as a base, then they cook the sauce to thicken it up. Not this one. This recipe uses simple ingredients like tomato paste, vinegar, honey, molasses, and spices. Tomato paste is very thick already, so using it as a base eliminates the need to cook the sauce.
Also, ketchup has a lot of ingredients, but tomato paste only has one. This honey barbecue sauce recipe uses only the simplest ingredients.
Tools Needed to make this bbq sauce with honey recipe
This recipe is really simple - you just need a few simple tools.
- Mixing bowl - We have some exactly like these and they work for everything, including this sauce.
- Spoon - Use your regular soup spoons, or a wooden mixing spoon.
- Measuring spoons I recommend some like these so that the labels don't rub off.
- Immersion blender optional- if you're looking for a super smooth sauce, you can use an immersion blender to get rid of the clumps and smooth it out.
Ingredients in barbecue sauce recipe with honey
- Tomato paste - Tomato paste is tomatoes cooked down to a very concentrated paste. It's bursting with tomato flavor and is a great base for sauces. We love this kind because it's Organic and there's only one ingredient.
- White vinegar - Apple cider vinegar would also work well here. This will give you the tang, and balance out the sweetness.
- Honey - Sweetens the sauce. Grab the raw and unfiltered honey, like this kind.
- Molasses - Adds a distinct flavor to the sauce. I tried this recipe without the molasses and it didn't taste right.
- Mustard - Use your favorite kind. Yellow mustard, or dijon work great.
- Garlic powder and onion powder- Adds savory flavors and balances out the sauce.
- Salt - Balances the sweetness and acidity.
- Black pepper - Adds a kick (add cayenne for a bigger "kick").
How to Make Honey BBQ Sauce
It's really simple to make this honey BBQ sauce recipe, and there's no cooking at all.
Grab your mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together. Stir until smooth. If the sauce is a little clumpy, you can use an immersion blender to smooth it out.
By the way, an immersion blender is an amazing kitchen tool to have in your cupboard. (It's on my minimalist kitchen essentials list for a reason).
Can I freeze BBQ sauce?
This recipe makes about 2 cups of sauce, which fits perfectly in this wide mouth mason jar. It will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.
Alternatively, you can freeze it for much longer (3-6 months) in an airtight container. To thaw, put it in the fridge the night before you want to use it. Then serve cold or heated up.
Is barbecue sauce gluten free?
I can't speak for every barbecue sauce out there. Many sauces off the shelf at the store include gluten as a thickener. This recipe is 100% gluten free.
How to Use Your Honey Barbecue Sauce?
- Pulled pork sandwiches or tacos
- Drizzled over ribs
- BBQ grilled chicken
- Pizza sauce for a BBQ chicken pizza
Looking for more delicious homemade sauce recipes?
I've got you covered, my friend:
- Easy Pizza Sauce With Tomato Paste
- Best Homemade Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Mayo
- 5 Minute Coconut Curry Sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- cayenne powder, to taste (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Stir until smooth
- If you have clumps after stirring, you can use an immersion blender to smooth it out.
- If you want more spice, add cayenne, to taste
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: ¼ C
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g