Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
You’ve really got to try this, friends. It’s got the smoky flavor from the chipotles, the tang from the mayo and sour cream, and the creaminess…oh my goodness, it’s good. Make this chipotle sauce today and drizzle it allllll over your grilled chicken, or on your tacos! Mmmmm…you won’t be disappointed!
Tools used in this recipe
- Mixing bowl / mason jar & spoon - These are just “whatever-you-have” tools. I do love storing dips and sauces in these wide mouth mason jars.
Ingredients used in this recipe
- Mayonnaise (homemade or store bought) - This is the base of our chipotle mayo.
- Chipotle paste - Get this kind with just three ingredients. The paste makes this recipe so easy - no blender needed.
- Sour cream - This is going to give the sauce an extra tang, which is just delicious.
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Salt - We love our himalayan pink salt(here’s a link on Amazon).
- Mayo - You can make homemade mayonnaise or buy some. I tested this recipe with Primal Kitchen mayo.
- Chipotle paste - An alternative to the chipotle paste is using whole chipotles in adobo sauce (or making your own from dehydrated chipotles). I searched Amazon and could only find ONE brand that doesn’t use oils that we try to avoid. Here it is (downside: you have to buy 12 jars…). If you go the whole chipotle route, you’ll need an immersion blender to mix up the recipe.
- Sour cream - The sour cream gives the sauce a tangy flavor, and you can easily substitute for a plant based (dairy free) sour cream, or use plain yogurt. You could probably also swap for a coconut milk/lemon juice combo, but I haven’t tested that.
How to make chipotle sauce
If you’re using whole chipotles (from the can in your local store), you’ll need an immersion blender. But if you’re using the chipotle paste that I recommend, you don’t need anything except a bowl and a spoon.
Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix it up until well blended.
How to use Chipotle Sauce
We love drizzling this sauce over tacos (or nachos), but you can use it however you’d like. It’s a little different than chipotle mayo because it has more tanginess from the sour cream. I highly recommend using it in all ways possible.
FAQ & Recipe Tips
What is chipotle sauce made of?
The chipotle sauce I found on Amazon has its ingredients listed as:
- canola oil, vinegar, water, sugar, salt, soybean oil, orange juice concentrate, chipotle powder, mustard seed, garlic powder, xanthan gum, white wine, citric acid, tartaric acid, spices
THIS chipotle sauce has mayonnaise, chipotle paste (3 real food ingredients), sour cream, garlic powder, and salt.
I highly recommend making it in your own kitchen, with ingredients you love.
Is chipotle sauce hot or spicy?
It’s a little spicy, yes. You can make it spicier by adding a touch of cayenne.
What does chipotle sauce taste like?
This chipotle sauce is creamy, tangy, and smoky. It would go really well with tacos, nachos, on a sandwich, taco salad, or brushed on grilled chicken.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream (or yogurt) [dairy free if needed]
- ¼ cup chipotle paste (or 4 chipotles in adobo sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix it up until well blended.
- You can make homemade mayonnaise or buy some. I tested this recipe with Primal Kitchen mayo.
- An alternative to the chipotle paste is using whole chipotles in adobo sauce I searched Amazon and could only find ONE brand that doesn’t use oils that we try to avoid. Here it is (downside: you have to buy 12 jars…). If you use whole chipotles, you’ll need an immersion blender to blend it all up.
- You can easily substitute the sour cream for a plant-based (dairy-free) sour cream, or use plain yogurt.
- For a spicier sauce, add a dash or two of cayenne
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 2 Tbsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g