Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
It's soup season, friends!
Bust out your dutch ovens, crock pots, and instant pots because here on Scratch to Basics we're about to get soupy. Last year I spent a month or two developing a bunch of crockpot recipes that you can make-ahead and freeze as a freezer meal, or make it the day you want it. And this chicken tortilla soup was a crowd-favorite, for sure.
This chicken tortilla soup is super tasty as-is, or with the extra toppings. For specific diet modifications, see the notes in the recipe card at the bottom.
Make ahead freezer meal
To make this recipe ahead of time, you'll just need a few freezer meal tools. The main thing you're going to need to make this ahead of time is something to store your uncooked meal in. I use these compostable freezer bags because I don't love the idea of using plastic near my food.
Here's the general idea:
- Prep your ingredients
- Put them in your (labeled) freezer bag
- Freeze for later
To cook the meal, just set the bag it in the fridge the night before you're ready for it.
Once you're ready to cook your soup, you just need your crockpot (or instant pot with slow-cook setting). Dump all the thawed ingredients inside and cook!
One more thing I wanted to share...
I’m excited to be one of Google’s paid early testers for their Thank with Google pilot program. Thank with Google is an experimental feature that gives my audience the chance to share which content they value the most by allowing you to purchase a virtual sticker and directly show your appreciation for content on my website.
What I really love about Thank with Google is that it's a creative and fun way for my audience to connect with me and show their appreciation of my work. This can translate into direct revenue to support the work that goes into the content you're enjoying on this blog.
You can find the Thank with Google feature at the bottom of every blog post. If you test it out, even just to send a free sticker, let me know what you think! Thanks as always for your support.
- 1.5lb chicken breast
- ½ large yellow onion - ½" dice
- 1 jalapeno (finely diced)
- 2 bell peppers - 1" dice
- ½ 6oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- Lime wedges
- Diced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Add chicken breast (whole) to freezer bag.
- Dice onion, jalapeno, and bell peppers, and add it to freezer bag.
- Combine the broth, tomato paste and spices in a bowl, then dump into the freezer bag.
- Squeeze the air out, seal the bag, lay flat in the freezer until frozen.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, or soak in cold water the morning you’re ready to cook it.
- Cook on low in crockpot for 5-6 hours
- When it’s done cooking, shred the chicken with two forks and serve with optional toppings
- For gluten free, use gluten free tortilla chips
- For dairy free, omit the shredded cheese topping
- For Paleo, use Paleo tortilla chips (like Siete brand)
- For vegan, use tofu instead of chicken, and no cheese