Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
Making this chipotle mayo recipe at home is not only easy, but it’s absolutely delicious. Avoid the dozens of ingredients in the store bought version and make your own with simple, real food ingredients at home today.
We love using this chipotle mayo (or chipotle aioli) on our burgers, on sandwiches, as a french fry dip, and basically every other way we can (including by the spoonful). It’s so good!
Tools used to make this chipotle aioli recipe
- Mixing bowl / mason jar & spoon - These are just “whatever-you-have” tools. I do love storing dips and sauces in these wide mouth mason jars.
Ingredients used to make this chipotle mayo recipe
- Mayonnaise (homemade or store bought) - This is the base of our chipotle mayo.
- Chipotle paste - Get this kind with just three ingredients. The paste makes this recipe so easy - no blender needed AND you get top quality ingredients in your chipotle mayo (which I’m always excited about). I don’t have this in my local store, so if you do…CELEBRATE!
- Lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Salt - We love our himalayan pink salt (here’s a link on Amazon).
How to make chipotle mayo in your own kitchen
I promise it’s easy, friends. And SO worth it to make food in your own home. Chipotle mayo is getting more popular, and I HAVE seen it on the shelves at the store, however, beware of the ingredients inside. Always, always, ALWAYS check the ingredient label to make sure you know what you’re eating. Especially if you’re following a specific diet or have food sensitivities.
Lucky for us, this is an easy (and delicious) recipe we can make in five minutes, tops.
If you’re using whole chipotles (from the can in your local store), you’ll need an immersion blender. But if you’re using the chipotle paste that I recommend, you don’t need anything except a bowl and a spoon.
- Mayo - You can make homemade mayonnaise or buy some. I tested this recipe with Primal Kitchen mayo.
- Chipotle paste - An alternative to the chipotle paste is using whole chipotles in adobo sauce (or making your own from dehydrated chipotles). I searched Amazon and could only find ONE brand that doesn’t use oils that we try to avoid. Here it is (downside: you have to buy 12 jars…). If you go the whole-chipotle route, you’ll need an immersion blender to mix up the recipe.
FAQ & Recipe Tips
What is chipotle mayo made of?
The store bought versions of chipotle mayo have the following ingredients:
- Soybean oil, water, chipotle pepper puree, vinegar, eggs, salt, sugar, egg yolks, modified food starch, natural flavor, citric acid, lemon juice concentrate, dried garlic, dried onions, paprika, mustard oil, calcium disodium edta, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate.
However, THIS recipe has the following ingredients:
- Mayonnaise, chipotle paste (3 real food ingredients), lime juice, garlic, salt
What is the difference between chipotle aioli and chipotle mayo?
Honestly, I use these terms interchangeably. There might be a difference if you look at the official definition, buuuuut they’re basically both chipotles mixed with mayo (and are both delicious).
- Cilantro Lime Mayo
- Sriracha Aioli
- 5 Simple Ways to Use Mayo
- 5 Minute Homemade Mayo Recipe
- Avocado Mayo Sauce
Chipotle Mayo Recipe (GF, DF, Paleo)
Making this chipotle mayo recipe at home is not only easy, but it’s absolutely delicious. Avoid the dozens of ingredients in the store-bought version and make your own with simple, real food ingredients at home today.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients together in your mixing bowl.
- An alternative to the chipotle paste is using whole chipotles in adobo sauce (or making your own from dehydrated chipotles). If you go the whole-chipotle route, you’ll need an immersion blender to mix up the recipe. I’d use 2 whole chipotles in place of the chipotle paste.
Leave a Reply