Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
These Paleo flatbread rounds are delicious to eat with soup, as a tortilla, or even as a wrap. Dip it in your favorite guacamole or top it with chicken and fresh herbs.
No matter how you choose to use these, you’re going to love them.
Why i love this recipe
When you’re following the Paleo diet, AIP, or another grain-free & dairy free lifestyle, one craving that seems to always be there is bread.
There’s just something about it.
This flatbread recipe hits the spot and satisfies that craving with healthy ingredients. This recipe is inspired by this Paleo Naan. It’s a similar consistency, but I’ve adapted it to work a little better for me.
I’m currently following the AIP protocol to work on my Hashimoto’s and these have been a lifesaver in the elimination phase. Honestly, though…I plan on making these even when I’m off the strict elimination diet.
- They are SO simple to make. I’ve got the recipe memorized after making these for the last month.
- They have a delicious spongy texture that I love.
- These are so versatile. I can dip them in guacamole, or use them as a base to an open faced taco.
- Mixing bowl – These are great with their non-slip bottoms.
- Mixing spoon – I love these wooden mixing spoons, but any spoon will do.
- Cast iron skillet – I exclusively use cast iron skillets. Amazon has a great price on them right now.
Ingredients Used in this recipe
- Coconut flour – I used Bob’s Red Mill coconut flour for this one. If you’re lucky enough to have a store that carries some of their products, I highly recommend them. They’re local to my area so we usually have five different bags of their products open in the cupboard. If you can’t find them in your store, here’s a link to their awesome collection of products on Amazon.
- Tapioca starch (or arrowroot flour) – I used Bob’s Red Mill for these as well.
- Coconut milk (I’ve been loving this AIP friendly no-guar coconut milk). If I can find it on sale at my local health food store, I buy it there. Otherwise, it’s cheaper on Amazon here.
- Salt (I love using this salt because the trace minerals aren’t stripped out like in table salt)
How to make this recipe
This Paleo flatbread couldn’t be simpler to make. Follow these steps for a “bread-like” treat.
Step 1: Mix all ingredients in a bowl
The first step is pretty straightforward. Just mix everything up. It’ll be the consistency of a thick batter.
Step 2: Cook In a pan
Next, scoop some of the batter into a hot pan and spread it out with the back of your spoon. You can make these whatever size you like, I tend to like the 3″ round size.
Once it bubbles up on top, flip them over and cook the other side. Each side should only take a few minutes (faster if your pan is hotter).
FAQ 1 – Can I substitute different flours?
The blend of coconut flour and either tapioca starch or arrowroot powder works well in this recipe. The tapioca or arrowroot will give it a spongy texture (which I love) and it will hold everything together.
FAQ 2 – Can I Make These ahead & How Do I store them?
These tend to stick to each other if you stack them while hot. So I recommend putting a layer of parchment paper between them. They keep for about a week in the fridge, and also freeze well.
FAQ 3 – What kind of flour is in Paleo bread?
Paleo “breads” are often made with some combination of almond flour, coconut flour, cassava flour, or starches like tapioca or arrowroot. There’s often eggs involved, too. This flatbread is AIP approved because there’s no nuts and no eggs.
How to use These Paleo Flatbread rounds?
Here are some ideas to use your flatbread rounds.
- Dip it in guacamole or this delicious tangy Paleo & AIP friendly avocado dip.
- Use it as a tortilla (in place of these Paleo tortillas).
- Use it to soak up leftover sauces on your plate (like this delicious 5 minute coconut curry sauce).
Spongy Paleo Flatbread
This Paleo flatbread is spongy and delicious. Make some today to dip in your favorite dip or use it as a healthy wrap.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 3″ round flatbreads 1x
- Category: breads, flatbread, sides
- Method: skillet cook
- Cuisine: American
- Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Heat your skillet (we use cast-iron) on medium-high heat.
- Drizzle a little oil into the hot pan and scoop some of the batter into the pan.
- Spread it out with a spoon until it reaches your desired size.
- Cook it on the first side for 2-4 minutes, until you see bubbles on the top.
- Flip them over and finish cooking on the other side (about 1-2 minutes).
- I like making these as 3″ round flatbreads, the recipe makes 12 of this size. You can choose to make them 6″, but it won’t make as many.
Keywords: Paleo flatbread, AIP flatbread, coconut flatbread