Some of the links on this site may be affiliate links. This means, at no additional cost to you, I may be paid a small commission if you follow the links and make a purchase. Learn more here.
This pulled buffalo chicken is super tasty, and has all the spice for the spice lovers in your home. Make some buffalo chicken sliders or throw it on some greens for a tasty salad.
You can definitely make slow cooker shredded buffalo chicken in your crockpot (or Instant Pot with a slow-cook option) but you can also prep it all ahead of time and stick it in your freezer for a make-ahead freezer meal. You'll find info for both ways below.
Make Pulled Buffalo Chicken As A Make-Ahead Freezer Meal
If you're not familiar with freezer meals, check out this beginner's guide to freezer meals.
To make pulled buffalo chicken as a freezer meal, you'll just need a few freezer meal tools.
The main thing you're going to need is something to store the prepped ingredients in while they're in the freezer. I use these compostable freezer bags and love them.
Here's the general idea if you're making this as a freezer meal:
- Prep your ingredients
- Put them in your (labeled) freezer bag
- Freeze for later
To cook the meal, just set the bag it in the fridge the night before you're ready for it.
Once you're ready to cook your soup (OR if you want to skip the freezer prep part), you just need your crockpot (or instant pot with slow-cook setting). Dump all your ingredients in and cook!
More Quick & Easy Crockpot Meals
One more thing I wanted to mention...
I'm excited to be one of Google's paid early testers for their Thank with Google pilot program. Their experimental feature is called "Thank with Google", and I think it's such a fun and creative way for my audience to show appreciation for my work.
Here's how it works: Thank with Google allows my readers to purchase a virtual sticker and directly show their support and appreciation for the content on my website.
You can find the Thank with Google feature in multiple places on my site, including at the top and bottom of each blog post (including this one). If you try it out, let me know what you think!
- 2 lb chicken thighs
- ½ cup vinegar (apple cider vinegar or white vinegar)
- ½ large yellow onion - about ¼ inch dice
- ¼ cup ghee, butter, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cayenne
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced (or zested)
- Wraps or rolls
- Lime wedges
If you're making this as a freezer meal, do the "Prep" Instructions on your prep day, then "Cook" when you're ready to cook. If you're making this the day you want to eat it, instead of putting the ingredients into a freezer bag, put them into the crockpot bowl.
- Add the chicken to the freezer bag.
- Chop the onion and add it to the freezer bag.
- Add the ghee/butter/coconut oil, salt, vinegar, cayenne, and garlic to the freezer bag.
- Squeeze the air out of the bag, seal, and lay flat in the freezer.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight, or soak in cold water the morning you’re ready to cook it.
- Cook on low in crockpot for 5-6 hours.
- Pull the big chicken pieces apart using two forks.
- Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, rolls, wraps, or rice (or as a salad).
For dairy free, use coconut oil instead of butter
For Paleo, use cauliflower rice
For vegan, use a plant based meat substitute
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 781Total Fat: 50gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 323mgSodium: 1102mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 57g