Hi there! I'm Megan. I'm a follower of Jesus, a wife to a loving husband, and a mom to two sweet little girls. I love cooking and eating delicious food. Especially if there's chocolate involved. When I'm not cooking you can find me chasing my giggling girls around the house, or enjoying baby smiles from our youngest.
I started this blog to provide help people see the power of real food. Simple, delicious, and nourishing food.
I'm a firm believer that food doesn't have to be complicated to be delicious. I make delicious food daily and it's NEVER complicated.
I don't have time for complicated. I need easy. Easy to remember recipes, simple ingredients, and fast recipes that are packed with nutrition and flavor.
Right around the time I started this blog, I began a food journey of my own. I've been wandering down the road of elimination diets and food sensitivities.
I've learned that I feel best when I avoid certain foods. For that reason, most of the recipes you'll see on the blog are gluten free, dairy free, and/or Paleo.
Real and Sustainable Food
My family and I are on a journey towards finding peace in the midst of everything we've got going on. We're taking big steps to follow our dreams, trust our gut, and simplifying life along the way. We are paying more attention to where our food comes from, and what's inside it.
Our food systems are broken and are in need a BIG fix. But despite the HUGE need for change, and despite the fact that I'm just one ordinary person, I'm still encouraged.
I believe we can make a difference by making sustainable choices to eat real food each day.
- Choosing to support local and sustainable farms and buy organic produce
- Finding real food alternatives to the processed junk in the stores
- Buying meat from farms who raise their animals ethically and sustainably
Meal Planning Made Easy
I started meal planning years ago. It started simple (just a chalk board to write down the dinner ideas for the week), and has evolved over the years.
I still think my system is pretty simple (because remember...it doesn't have to be complicated for it to work). Although now I make my grocery list at the same time, and I often try to plan out shopping the sales at the store and stock up on the sale items.
Meal planning is what allows me to cook homemade dinners from scratch almost every night of the week. Every single week.
I want you to be able to feed your family real food. Homemade, simple, and absolutely delicious food the way God made it.
Sign up here to get my personal collection of meal planning templates to get started down your real food journey.
What to Expect
Here on Scratch to Basics, I'll share about all things food as well as cooking tips & tricks. And I'll do my best to keep things simple. Here's what you can expect from me:
- Scratch recipes from my kitchen to yours. We avoid the junk in processed food by making a lot of our own food. Think of it as the intersection of DIY and food. Simple recipes for delicious food.
- Meal planning & Cooking tips. Cooking for your family shouldn't be stressful. I'll provide simple and actionable tips to make your food goals a reality.
- Opportunities to live a healthier life. Whether by switching out your beauty products and cleaning supplies for non-toxic varieties (like my fave, Beautycounter), or adjusting where you buy your groceries, there are plenty of simple steps we can take starting today.
I'd love to walk with you on your journey and share what I'm learning in mine.
No matter what brought you here, I'm so glad you're here. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] with any questions you might have.