Hi there! I’m Megan. I’m a follower of Jesus, a wife to a loving husband, and a mom to two sweet little girls. I love cooking and eating delicious food. Especially if there’s chocolate involved. When I’m not cooking you can find me outside on our farm or chasing giggling girls around the house.
I started this blog to provide simple family friendly recipes for people who want healthy alternatives to store-bought food.
About a year ago, my husband and I decided to follow our dreams. We moved from our comfortable suburban home to a small house on five run-down acres in hopes of starting a mini-farm. We’re on an adventure, that’s for sure. On this adventure we’re simplifying our life to focus on what matters.
I’d LOVE to have you join me on this journey! Join the mailing list for weekly updates.
Simple Scratch Recipes
I’m a firm believer that food doesn’t have to be complicated to be delicious. I make delicious food daily and it’s NEVER complicated. Trust me. I don’t have time for complicated. I need easy. Easy to remember recipes, simple ingredients, fast recipes that are packed with nutrition and flavor.
Real and Sustainable Food
We’re on a journey towards sustainable living. We’ve been steadily moving towards a more sustainable life for a few years now. And in that time I’ve learned a lot about what sustainable food is all about. I’ve also learned about some not-so-great aspects of our food system.
Our food systems are broken and are in need a BIG fix. But despite the HUGE need for change, and despite the fact that I’m just one ordinary person, I’m still encouraged. I’m encouraged because I believe we can make a difference by making sustainable choices to eat real food each day.
We can make a difference by:
- Choosing to support local and sustainable farms and buy organic produce
- Finding real food alternatives to the processed junk in the stores
- Buying meat from farms who raise their animals ethically and sustainably
Whether we realize it or not, there are toxins all around us. Here on the blog, I’m hoping to provide simple solutions for taking steps towards natural living. This topic is new on the blog, so stay tuned for lots of fun and helpful content! I hope to provide information on:
- Toxins in cleaners and beauty products
- The negative effects of preservatives and chemicals in food
- The many benefits to gardening (even if it’s just a pot of basil in a sunny window)
I’m still learning and always will be! Sign up for the weekly newsletter to come along on the journey!
What to Expect
Here on Scratch to Basics, I’ll share about all things food as well as natural living resources. And I’ll do my best to keep things simple. Here’s what you can expect from me:
- Scratch recipes from my kitchen to yours. We avoid the junk in processed food by making a lot of our own food. Think of it as the intersection of DIY and food. Simple recipes for delicious food.
- Information to help you understand what’s wrong with our food system and be an informed consumer along with simple ways you can take control of your food.
- Opportunities to live a more sustainable life. Whether by switching out your beauty products and cleaning supplies for non-toxic varieties, or adjusting where you buy your groceries, there are plenty of simple steps we can take towards a more natural, sustainable life.
Not everyone can move to a farm like we did (let’s be honest…most people don’t want to move to a farm like we did). But everyone can take steps to simplify the craziness of life and focus on what’s important.
Although avoiding the processed junk food and toxins takes effort, I KNOW it’s worth it.
And, more importantly, I know that YOU are worth it.
If you haven’t already, take a minute to sign up for the mailing list for access to helpful resources and weekly emails full of encouragement and tips.
I’d love to walk with you on your journey and share what I’m learning in mine.
No matter what brought you here, I’m so glad you’re here. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.