Hi there! I’m Megan. I’m a follower of Jesus, a wife to a loving husband, and a mom to two sweet little girls. I love cooking and eating delicious food. Especially if there’s chocolate involved. When I’m not cooking you can find me outside on our farm or chasing giggling girls around the house. I’m so glad you’re here!
I started this blog to provide simple recipes from scratch along with simple ways to live a more sustainable life.
About a year ago, my husband and I decided to follow our dreams. We moved from our comfortable suburban home to a small house on five run-down acres. We’re on an adventure, that’s for sure.
We’re on a journey towards sustainable living, and we believe a huge part of a sustainable life is sustainable food. We’ve been steadily moving towards a more sustainable life for a few years now. And in that time I’ve learned a lot about what sustainable food is all about. I’ve also learned about some not-so-great aspects of our food system.
- I’ve learned of the damage that’s being done to our planet through conventional agriculture and overuse of chemical fertilizers.
- I’ve learned about the terrible conditions animals are often raised in for meat.
- And I’ve learned about the nutrient-destroying methods of refining and processing the food that we eat.
Likely you’ve heard about some of these things too. And you, like me, are probably frustrated that these problems exist in the first place.
Our food systems are broken and are in need a BIG fix. But despite the HUGE need for change, and despite the fact that I’m just one ordinary person, I’m still encouraged. Yes, you
heard read that right. I’m encouraged because I believe we can make a difference by making sustainable choices each day.
By choosing to support local sustainable farms and buy organic produce…
We vote “yes” for sustainable agriculture.
When we don’t buy the processed junk in the stores…
We vote “no” to fake food, and “yes” to real food.
When we buy meat from farms who raise their animals ethically and sustainably…
We vote “yes” to animal welfare and “no” to animal cruelty.
I believe we can make a difference. Together.
What to Expect
Here on Scratch to Basics, I’ll share about all things food. Here’s what you can expect from me:
- Scratch recipes from my kitchen to yours. We avoid the junk in processed food by making a lot of our own food. Think of it as the intersection of DIY and food. Simple recipes for delicious food.
- Information to help you understand what’s wrong with our food system and be an informed consumer.
- Simple ways to take control of your foodand make a change regardless of your situation.
- Opportunities to share knowledge with your kids and help them learn about where our food comes from, and how to make healthy choices.
Not everyone can move to a farm like we did (and let’s be honest…most people don’t want to move to a farm like we did). But no matter where you are, you can make a difference. Let’s do this together!
If you haven’t already, take a minute to sign up for the mailing list so you can get exclusive content and updates. I’d love to walk with you on your journey.
Bonus: By signing up, you’ll also get a free PDF with some awesome healthy snack substitutions!
No matter what brought you here, I’m so glad you’re here. Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.